Find a property

What certificates do I need?

Below is some more information about the certificates you need.

Gas Safety

The 1994 Gas Safety Regulations place a legal obligation on you/us to have any gas appliances (including bottle gas appliances) and flues checked and certified annually by a gas safe registered tradesman. A copy of the Landlord’s Gas Safety Record has to be supplied to the tenant. Non-compliance is a criminal offence. Cost and inconvenience are reduced if all gas-fired appliances, including central heating systems, are serviced once a year at the same time as they are certified.

Legionella Risk Assessments

The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) now require a risk assessment to be carried out on any rental property.
Landlords must understand the health risks associated with legionella.

‘Duties under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA) extend to risks from legionella bacteria, which may arise from work activities. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (MHSWR) provide a broad framework for controlling health and safety at work. More specifically, the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) provide a framework of actions designed to assess, prevent or control the risk from bacteria like Legionella and take suitable precautions.’

As an employer, or a person in control of the premises, you are responsible for health and safety and need to take the right precautions to reduce the risks of exposure to legionella. You must understand how to:

  • Identify and assess sources of risk
  • Manage any risks
  • Prevent or control any risks
  • Keep and maintain the correct records
  • Carry out any other duties you may have

In order to inform us that you have done this you will need to either provide us with the risk assessment certificate or we will require you to sign a disclaimer informing us that you are organising this yourself.

For ‘Fully Managed’ service we will arrange the risk assessment for you.

Electrical Safety

All appliances provided by the landlord should be checked annually. This is known as Portable Appliance Testing (P.A.T). It includes all electrical items such as washing machines, kettles etc. In addition, a periodic inspection of the electrics must be carried out every five years OR at the beginning of each new tenancy (i.e. usually annually).

  • Failure to do so is a legal offence and could result in a fine
  • Non-certified work could also put your household at risk

You may have problems selling the property if you can’t provide evidence that all electrical installations are compliant.

There are two ways to prove compliance:

  • A certificate showing the work has been done by a government approved electrical installer such as British Gas
  • A certificate from the local authority saying that the installation has approval under the Building Regulations
  • Homeowners are still able to do some minor electrical jobs themselves

The following table is a useful reference:

Examples of work Can I do it myself?
Complete new or rewiring job No
Replacing existing accessories such as lights, sockets outlets, ceiling roses, switches, fused spurs etc Yes
Adding lighting points to an existing circuit in a “special location” like the kitchen, bathroom or garden No
Adding lighting points to an existing circuit in other locations like dining rooms, lounges or bedrooms Yes
Installing electrical earth connections to pipe work and metalwork No
Fuse box No
Disconnecting and reconnecting existing equipment Yes
Adding a new circuit No

Fire Safety/Smoke Alarms

Certain Houses classed as ‘Houses in Multiple Occupation’ will legally require smoke alarms. Landlords must contact the Private Sector Housing section of Cardiff County Council to assess what fire precautions are legally required for their property. They can be contacted on 029 2087 3565 or 029 2087 3564.

Cardiff Student Letting will insist on installing smoke alarms as part of our high standard requirements.

Energy Performance Certificates

From 1st October 2008, all rental properties require an Energy Performance certificate (EPC). A valid EPC must be made available to all prospective tenants before they actually view the property. Certificates are valid for 10 years.

We will not be able to advertise any properties without a valid EPC.

Book a Viewing
Report Maintenance Issue

Receive Alerts from Us